3 December 2017

Terrain Tutorial: Ruined Walls

A couple of years ago (around 2015 I guess) a lot of people were buying a specific toy castle from Simba Toys. Really cheap stuff. I managed to get one second hand off Ebay, super duper cheap. But the castle has lying around as parts, because in the end, I found it too toy like.

Here's what I've ended up doing with the 4 walls of the set. All in all it's become 68'' of ruined walls.

Materials:

  • Toy plastic walls (lots of cheap toys out there). 
  • Cork sheets (I use cheap table protectors from Ikea).
  • Cardboard
  • Woodglue and superglue
  • Your regular basing material
Step 1:
In my Simba castle there's 4 pieces of wall. I cut rows 4 stones wide - so I ended up with 8 pieces of clean wall. And a lot of extra windows and ramparts, saved to some other project.

The long thin pieces of wall I cut into different sizes in pairs. Some half pices, some a third of the length and so on.


Step 2:
I cut the cork table protector into square pieces. Just my hobby clippers to round the edges a bit. I used these to build pillars on the edges or inside the walls. 

Using super glue, I glued wall paired pieces onto the base and the pillar. The top of these walls will be open. Cut some slices from the cork (roughly half of the pillar stones) and make some tiles. Round the edged on these tiles, like you did the larger stones.

Super glue these on top of the walls, hiding the hole.

Step 3:
Time to close up the ends of the walls. Cut as piece of cork that fit inside the end of the wall section (if not ending in a pillar). Rough it up with your clippers and glue in place. Let it stick out from the plastic a bit. Use some of all your cut off to add additional rubbble. 


Step 4:
Add some cardbaord cobble stone details to the bases. I've also added them here and there along the edges of the walls. Cover the rest with sand. Make sure to add a good amount close the the wall, make sure it never breaks off.

I've prepped two pieces with room for a gate. Glue an iron nail, head on the base, and fix in the top with a bigger piece of cork. All prepped for some homemade iron gates. I plan on building some from bbq bamboo spears and add a magnets to the end. Easy open and close, and they can be detached when stored - less risk of breaking.


Step 5:
It's time to paint up the walls. I base coated them in a lot of black spray paint. Drybrushed the walls in grey. Painted the sand brown. No highlighting.

I then added static grass and ivy (cheap flock, super glued on and covered in super glue afterwards). Then some homemade snow paste (woodglue, white acryllic, white sand, baking powder).

After it dried I've sprayed with matt white from a long distance 60 cm (2') in small burst. Adding a nice frosty looking coat that I use on all my terrain, to bind it all together.

Lastly I've added winter flowers, I don't want these frost coated. They add just enough colour.

Showcase
All pictures taken on a nice 3'x4' felt mat from Ceri Design. There's some written posts on my trees and my little ruined house.






2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. I've got one of those castles and have never got round to doing anything with it, I think you've just inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Part of the reason for blogging, is hoping to pass a bit of inspiration.

      Delete